There are many, many reasons for which I love Matt; many of them are music-related. Here are just a few:
1. He introduced me to Ben Folds back in 1997. Albeit with a knowing, slightly annoying smirk because he knew how I would always have to give him credit for finding one of my favorite musicians of all time. But no matter.
2. I was looking back through some unpublished blog posts recently when I found an unfinished Ten on Tuesday from 2008; one of the items on the list was a story about how he had said he was going to go to Target to look for a game of horseshoes.* And how he totally got it when I immediately responded with "a game of HORSESHOOOOOOOOOOOOES!" (Do you get it?)
3. He was really, really sad when Don Cornelius died last month, because when he lived in Germany he watched Soul Train every day after school on the Armed Services Network (or whatever it was called).
4. Last week we made use of a rare 52 minute window of opportunity to go to dinner together on Wednesday night while all three girls were at gymnastics; whatever weird algorithm Chipotle was using that night for its music stream busted out some I Feel For You by Chaka Khan circa 1984, and we both sang along to the entire song including instrumental and vocal solos. Now that's a date.
5. I recently bought an Estelle album (Shine) and though Matt will never on-purpose choose it to listen to first from our vast collection of music, within five seconds of hearing the second song he identified it as sampling George Michael's Faith. And then proceeded to prove it.
6. Because he can sing a mean version of Kelis's Milkshake. But you only get to hear that story in person and if you're really, really lucky.
7. Concerts, concerts, concerts. Almost 23 years worth of concerts. (I need to make a second of these frames!)
8. For identifying the "Edgar Meyer Mafia," which will leave you much poorer but all-around a better person with a greater musical horizon.
9. Every CD we own is imported into iTunes (over 800) and it wasn't because of me. I really, really appreciate that obsessive valiant dedication to getting that job done in 2005.
10. I can say "hey, come over here and see this They Might Be Giants cover of Chumbawamba on A.V. Club" and suddenly it's two hours later and we've watched almost all the covers.
*I do not know why Matt was interested in buying a game of horseshoes, and as far as I know we've never owned any. Alas, the unfinished blog post did not provide any clues to shed light on this strange story. But! I do have a file photo of a game of horseshoes.