I was clicking through my August archives tonight and it struck me that while things are different in every way this August, they're also pretty much exactly the same.
1. It was Grandma's birthday yesterday. Unfortunately, we didn't get to celebrate in person but I did get to talk to her on the phone for a little bit.
2. My Nigella Lawson measuring spoons are still in perfect condition, being used regularly and not being crunched in the garbage disposal. (Yay, me!)
3. I had a panic about NOT RENEWING A MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION this week and choosing something else to subscribe to instead. It totally made me giggle that in fact, this is not a new thing at all. I love magazines so much. The real ones, not the iPad ones. I've tried to be an iPad magazine reader, but I just want a real magazine in my hand. Related: I miss Wondertime terribly.
5. Gracie told this story again, except that it wasn't a little boy but rather one of the older optionals girls at gym.
6. We're back at an elementary school with beautiful gardens.
7. We're having some major swimming victories.
That's Gracie, jumping off the diving board and swimming to the side without a life jacket. Also pictured: a little bit of what we now fondly refer to as our "hippie palm," which is a nice way to say this palm tree is 92% dead but a segment of the population prefers you to leave it that way as a rustic habitat for a wide variety of wildlife. Thank you, Sunbeam of Knowledge.
8. We have another Light Switch of Doom connected to a computer, and it is not an option to move it because it is the only way to receive electrical power in the particular room the computer is set up in.
10. We had another round of first days of school. August is filled with them (except in 2007 and 2008, when the first day of school was after Labor Day).
11. Some days are still easier than others.
12. We still hate don't love uniforms.
First day pictures coming soon : )