1. Maddie was home sick again today, because apparently kindergarten is very germy and she is very defenseless. For a kid that has been to the doctor approximately four times in her life outside of well-baby checkups (and all for the same mysteriously recurring case of swimmer's ear) this is unsettling for me. But I've been assured that kindergarten is germy everywhere, and most kindergartners toughen up by first grade. I am absolutely amazed thinking back on the handful of kids who got "perfect attendance" certificates each year. Perfect attendance is harder than it looks.
2. Because Sickie made us miss the park today, Gracie, Bridget, and I had a picnic in the backyard while she was sleeping.
3. Picnics with cameras often turn into impromptu portrait shoots.
4. It was about 68º during our picnic lunch. Gracie still felt the need to go get her parka halfway through lunch, though.
5. I am very, very, very ready for Katherine to have her baby. Not as ready as she is, I bet.
6. I'm going to try and go see Juno with Deb this week. Hey Bridget—I'm not telling you what night I'm going, because I've heard it's a lot better than August Rush and I'm not all that interested in coming home early again to hang out.
7. Maddie had a bad dream a few nights ago and came barreling into our bedroom to tell us about it around 3:30 a.m. The conversation went something like this:
Maddie: C-L-A-M-S CLAMS.
And then I swear she rolled her eyes. Don't you spell clams and roll your eyes at me in the middle of the night, missy.
8. I've had very good luck with Craigslist since we moved here. I am 4/4. Microwave, dining room table/chairs, enlarger/darkroom equipment, Target Milano chair/ottoman. I told the lady who bought the chair and ottoman last night that I'd throw in the cat for free. She thought I was kidding.
9. Renee is waiting for me to send my list of things to do to her; it's a little accountability game we've been playing for a few years now. I am a-scared to write it all out. It is that long.
10. The novelty of seeing the Washington Monument on a regular basis has not yet worn off. I'm thinking it probably won't.