1. Did you hear the big news? Elijah Allan Hunt was born on August 3 in North Dakota. We do not like that we don't get to see him immediately. We take special pride in the existence of Hunt babies : ) There was a contest for name, date, and time of birth, and my mama won all three. Though I did hear that it was actually Uncle Ben who guessed the name, she isn't sharing her title as Queen Guesser.
2. With all our moves, I've found that we often get the first 90% of the unpacking/moving in completed through sheer adrenaline and the remaining 10% threatens to do us in not unlike someone repeatedly poking you in the eye might. This move = no different.
We might have a lot of girly things in our house, but we also have a giant Matchbox car lineup from the late 1970s/early 1980s. If you come visit us, we'll let you play with all of them. Your mama's wallet is on the counter, and if you need help with the credit card number when you buy the plane tickets just call me.
Love, Aunt Elizabeth
4. I'm not sure what that floor pattern is called either. It appears in the strangely large entryway and around the fireplace.
5. It is difficult to convince the girls that yes, EVERYDAY is windy in Wyoming.
Reminders about wind safety measures on city trash cans. Note: not just windy days, but Windy Days. Have you ever been thwacked in the face by your trash can lid? I haven't, but I did nearly chop my leg off on accident with the car door to my old Grand Prix in Montana once when it blew shut on my leg as I was leaning over to reach for something in the passenger seat before getting out. I still have a scar. It hurt. A lot. Just as I imagine getting thwacked in the face by your trash can lid must hurt.
Also, no hot ashes in there. OK.
We visited one of our old hangouts this past weekend—the Botanic Gardens. Maddie is probably getting a little bit tired of hearing about how she was in X or Y place when she was a baby, but we've never lived in a place twice before so the novelty hasn't worn off yet. Trivia: the Botanic Gardens was the location of her first outdoor diaper change. This is notable because I was so panicked about changing a diaper away from home. Heh heh.
Bonus points (and maybe even a small prize) to the first person who can correctly identify the location of the last photo featuring a Dillow child on a labyrinth.
8. I don't even know where to start documenting our July. For the record.
9. Oh, the glorious library here... it is glorious in every possible way. It's fun to see my old co-workers (I worked at the old building the first year we were here last time around) and the new building is everything the best library in the country ought to be. We're already regulars again. We turned in our completed summer reading program booklets today and picked up some shirts on the way out, too, as an added prize. Bridget had an unfortunate accident with the asphalt yesterday and yes, she is actually wearing shorts under that shirt.
10. And, the moment you've all been waiting for:
It isn't actually orange, though for some reason I think of it that way. The flowers are much more red (they clash very nicely with the cranberry walls in the hallway outside). Strangely enough, I kind of like it; it isn't something I will replicate in any house I ever live in again, but for now, it's OK. I think.