1. It's shaping up to be a very long summer. The three monkeys are more like three sheep dogs puppies all of a sudden; must be entertained and exercised and occupied every minute of the day or they start eating furniture and shoes. Some sort of activity or two each day is not enough. Karhalises! Move yourselves west, pronto! The campers are terribly restless.
2. In the spirit of entertaining and exercising and occupying the sheep dog puppies yesterday, I took them to one of the fishing lakes on base for an "adventure." We sat on the pier for a while and watched dragonflies, pelicans, geese/gosling families and other interesting birds until a bee buzzed an inch from Maddie's nose and planted itself there for about 30 seconds. It is a miracle that Maddie did not end up in the water, because she is petrified of bees. I did not bring my camera on this adventure for some inexplicable reason, which was probably for the best; after we started walking around the lake (which, by the way, does not have a paved path like every other park/lake in this town) we had to ford a swampy part of the path and ended up disrupting the edge of the largest anthill I've ever seen. It is nothing short of a second miracle that the base police didn't come and arrest us all. Land's End sandals + ants + Dillow girls = a lot of shrieking. Poor wildlife.
3. Next time we'll wear tennis shoes.
4. In other "adventures," Maddie's piano lessons started back up on Monday; we have to find a 23 minute adventure each Monday while she's at her lesson. Sometimes the adventure is taking the recycling to the recycling bins in front of Lowe's; lately, it's been exploring the gravel roads on the far north side of town.
5. Wednesday's adventures will kick off with Maddie's 8 year check-up at the clinic, at 7:30 am. It's always an adventure to take all three girls to the clinic at the same time! :P
6. The bleeding hearts have bloomed.
7. Emily Pitts is hosting Write.Click.Scrapbook. this week and she is featuring some fantastic photo project ideas. I am especially looking forward to trying the one Rebecca Cooper contributed to Emily's list of projects—you can find it here.
8. Maddie and Gracie rehearsed magic tricks for a show during part of quiet time today. There was a lot of "coughing out" a cheapie plastic princess ring from behind kleenex to give the impression that the cheapie plastic princess ring was magically transported inside a mouth. There will have to be some new magic tricks learned, because there is still a three year old in this house, and I don't feel like an ER adventure to extract a cheapie plastic princess ring from said three year old's stomach. We're going to the library tomorrow and will look for magic trick books.
9. Two of my former MT debaters (now married) had a baby a few weeks ago, and it makes me giggle a little to think of how that sweet little baby is going to debate her parents to death one day.
10. Just as I'm sure having three rambunctious sheepdog puppies makes my parents giggle today.